Greenheart is a small town in southern Greenshade.
#6. Throne of the Wilderking
Faction: Aldmeri Dominion
Objective: Quest Giver: Spinner Maruin at Spinner’s Cottage, Hollow Guardian at Greenheart
Previous Quest: The Witch of Silatar
Next Quest: Woodhearth
Reward: Ashenblade + 260 Gold + Skill Point
– Quick Walkthrough –
- Go to Greenheart and follow the trail of fire.
- Enter the Throne Tunnels.
- Find Aranias and Andur.
- Reach the Wilderking’s throne.
- Protect the Wilderking.
- Enter the tower.
- Talk to the Wilderking.
- Place the Wilderking’s crown in the garden at the top of the tower.
– Detailed Walkthrough –
When you approach Greenheart, the Wilderking will appear to you.
- Wilderking: “It is good you’re here. With earth magic and fire, Aranias and Andur force their way towards my home, leaving chaos in their wake. I’ve lost control of my guardians. My power fades. I’ve always wondered what death would be like. Soon, I will know.”
- You’re just going to give up?
- Wilderking: “My end was inevitable all along. Someone new must become caretaker of the Valenwood. Aranias was guided here for this purpose. It’s fascinating. In her heart, I think she knows the truth, but she’s conflicting. Perhaps it is Andur’s influence?”
- What should I do to change this?
- Wilderking: “I think you should catch up with them. Follow the trail of fire. Aranias must choose to accept the responsibility of her own accord, but Andur will not understand. I expect he will oppose her and she will need your help to defeat him.”
- Then I will try to catch up quickly.
A series of burning fires leads you to a destroyed building filled with Hollow soldiers. You will find the Wilderking inside, and he will advise you to find Aranias:
- Wilderking: “Quickly. Aranias wavers. She knows now why she was guided here – not to destroy the Valenwood, but to save it. She wants to change course, but she’s afraid. She’s afraid to stand up to Andur.”
- Wilderking: “Aranias’ powers grow as she draws closer to the throne. She opened the ground here and they entered the Throne Tunnels. You must follow. You must be there to help Aranias when she decides to make her stand.”
- Don’t worry. I’ll be there when she needs me.
- [Persuade] It would help if your forest spirits weren’t attacking me.
- Wilderking: “My hold over the creatures of the Valenwood has weakened. That is why they panic and attack. I lack the strength to pull them back, but I can make it so you appear less threatening. Be careful though. This enchantment will only last a short time.”
After you agree to help Aranias, he says, “If Andur kills me before I pass the mantle to Aranias, there will be no caretaker of the Valenwood. The forest would become a voracious monster. It would turn against the Bosmer and ultimately bring about its own destruction. You must stop him.”
The Trail of Fire
The tunnels are entered through a hole in the ground hear him. Traverse through the tunnels. If you have asked the Wilderking to protect you from the creatures, they will find you less easily on the way. When you emerge onto the throne plateau, you can hear Aranias defy Andur.
- Aranias: “I won’t let you kill him, Andur!”
- Andur: “Get out of my way, girl. I have no patience for this!”
Aranias can be found standing next to a tunnel filled with fire.
- Aranias: “It’s you…? From Silatar? My… my friend. Thank the Eight! You were right about the Veiled Heritance. I’m sure now. They used me as bait to trick the Wilderking, and now Andur’s going to kill him. I can’t let that happen. I have to stop Andur.”
- How do you intend to do that?
- Aranias: “I don’t know, but somehow, it seems like that’s what I was meant to do all along. When he burned the forest, I actually felt its pain. I think I’m…. connected to this place. I can’t fight Andur though – he’s too strong. Will you help me?”
- Of course. Where is Andur now?
- Aranias: “He’s gone ahead. I can travel through the roots to catch up, but you will have to fight your way through. This might help. Use this bundle of roots and you can burrow for short distances. It will at least get you past Andur’s fires.”
- All right. Let’s go then.
When you near the flames, you can press a key to burrow under the ground. There are two stretches of flames that you will need to do this for. Andur will be found across a bridge after you reach the outdoors, and you must kill him. He will yell, frustrated, “There’ll be no end to these interruptions!” After you kill him, Aranias will ask you to come with her. Follow her to a tower at the end of the path. The Wilderking can be found on his throne inside, on the ground floor:
- Wilderking: “Aranias was guided here to take my place, but I believe you were guided her to assure her ascension. If you had not come, I fear Andur would have killed us both, leaving the Valenwood wild and vengeful. Many lives would have been lost.”
- So Aranias will now become the “Wilderqueen?”
- Wilderking: “Yes. For centuries, my sole focus has been shaping and maintaining the Valenwood, protecting it from outside influence, and from itself. Now that she has come, I am free to return to the earth, give back to that which has given so much to me.”
- Where is Aranias now?
- Wilderking: “She is up above. You should go to her. She is frightened of the transformation process, but you must comfort her. This is the natural course of things. It is necessary for her, and for the Valnewood, but she must choose it of her own accord.”
Climb the ladder, and you will find Aranias on a balcony.
- Aranias: “I’m scared. Shouldn’t I be feeling confident? I mean, we defeated Andur. Look at all of this though! I’ve worked my magic on small pieces of land in the Summerset Isles… but this is an entire forest… a living forest. Tell me I can do this.”
- You can do this.
- Aranias: “I think he was once a man too, once, the Wilderking. I mean, he was like us. But when he took this on, he became something else. I think he merged with the Valenwood and forgot his previous self entirely.”
(if A Tangled Knot is completed)
- Yes. His name was Ostion. He was an Altmer mage.
- Aranias: “And he doesn’t even remember that! The same will happen to me. If I accept this responsibility and become Wilderqueen, I’ll forget my home, my youth… everything.”
(if A Tangled Knot is not completed)
- Does that change anything?
- Aranias: “Well yes. It means that once I accept this responsibility and become Wilderqueen, I’ll forget my previous life, my home, my youth… everything.”
- From what I witnessed, those weren’t exactly glorious memories.
- Aranias: “No, but they are my memories, and some of them fond. The ones with you. They seem only partially real, but they’re the memories I’ll miss most. I have to let go though. The way I embrace you in my heart, that’s how I must embrace the Valenwood.”
- Are you ready to become the Wilderqueen then?
- Aranias: “Yes, but I need your help. You must climb the tower further and place the Wilderking’s crown in the gardens there. Then you must wait for me. Promise you’ll wait.”
- I promise.
- Aranias: “Go on. We need to do this before I lose my nerve.”
Climb the tower to the top level, and place the crown. Return to Aranias on the level below. She has made the transformation to become the Wilderqueen.
- Wilderqueen: “Everything is so… very different. It’s like I’m no longer a single physical form, but my being is spread out across the forest. Aranias is slipping away. You are my friend though, whoever I become. Will you stay for just a moment?”
- I’m right here.
- Wilderqueen: “I am prepared to lose my memories, but I don’t want to lose the lessons I’ve learned. You helped me understand the difference between a foe and a friend. I’m determined not to forget that, nor to forget you.”
She will give you Ashenblade and 416 gold as a reward, and you will also receive a Skill Point.